- THE WORKS OF EDGAR ALLEN POE: Here’s a link to all his stories and poems. His macabre and dark approach to writing has touched many across the globe
- THE WORKS OF H.P LOVECRAFT: Another gothic writer whose style is both suspenseful and vivid
- THE LEGEND OF SLEEPY HOLLOW: Another classic, beware of the headless horseman
- THE TURN OF THE SCREW: A tale about a governess who becomes convinced that she and her charges are being stalked by ghosts.
- THE MONKEY’S PAW: You probably have heard of this one. Be careful what you wish for.
- THE LOTTERY: It might not seem like a horror story, but once you realize what’s happening you will definitly be horrified. If you don’t understand here’s a site that will clear some things up
- WHERE ARE YOU GOING, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN: About a 15 year old girl’s encounter with a threatening but charismatic stranger. A popular dark tale.
- THE SIGNAL MAN: By Charles Dickon’s, a railroad worker tells the story of a ghost that seems to appear to him as a premonition of some horrible railway tragedy
- THE MORTAL IMMORTAL: Mary Shelley may have been known for Frankenstein, but here’s another dark tale by her. It’s the story of a man who wants to play God, but finds his sanity is the price
- THE WOMAN IN BLACK: You probably have heard of the movie, but read the classic story behind it. Whenever she is seen, a child dies.
BONUS: Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier: I read this for my Gothic Literature class in high school. I loved it. A dark novel with plenty of twists to keep you on the edge.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Masterpost of Gothic Novels
of a menacing or threatening nature; minacious.
Etymology: from Late Latin minātōrius, from Latin minārī - to threaten.
The following games include suspense, flashing pictures and ominous music. Not recommended for those with severe anxiety.
- Do you have a grudge?: based on the Grudge movie. You basically walk around the house and get to explore it, click on certain parts and you’ll see flickering shadows and long dark hair.
- Purgatorium: a short and creepy point-and-click escape-the-room game with some rather horrific graphic visuals nestled inside. If you are having problems going through the game just google “Purgatorium walk throughs” and that should help.
- Exmortis: graphic images, flashing pictures, begins with you waking up in the woods with a lump on your head and unable to recall how you got there. All you recall are the dreams. You’ll see a house up ahead and decide that shelter there is better than freezing to death in the woods. Think of the house at the end of Blair Witch and you’ll be right at home.
- Hero’s Adventures: If you wanna take a break from the serious horror themes of the above games, here’s a cute little game made pokemon style. Mild horror themes, no graphics, short little game.
- Slenderman game: Everyone was going crazy over this game back in the days. It is a short, experimental horror game in which you must travel into a dark woods at night, with a simple goal: find 8 pages that are scattered across the woods. There’s just one catch, he might get ya if your not careful. You must download this game to your computer (no charge)
- Ao Oni: Japanese survival horror game. Although each version differs heavily from the others, the objective is always the same. Locked in a mansion, you explore and solve puzzles while running from an enigmatic demon. You must download this game.
- Zombie games: This site has a bunch of games where you have to shoot zombies before they get to you. Each game has it’s own story. No terrible graphics. Suitable for kids. Think of it as a break from all the other heavy creepy ones.
- Red Asylum: Another interactive haunted house game, where you must try to find your way out
- Deep Sleep: You are stuck inside a nightmare dream. Something lurks in the darkness. Something in the depths of your own mind wants to pull you even deeper. Someone will escape this dream for sure. The question is - who is that going to be? Pretty sweet game. If you are stuck here are some walkthroughs
- SCP- Containment Breach: puts you in a ‘containment facility’, which is holding a strange and unnerving entity called SCP-173, a sculpture monster that can only move when not in direct line of sight. When unseen, it is extremely hostile and dangerous. You can watch a trailer of it here to get a good idea of the game. You must also download this game to your computer.
Alright that’s all the good online games I could find so far! Hope you guys all enjoy!
Here is a masterpost with MORE CREEPY ONLINE GAMES
I have received various messages from people who actually tried some of these games and got back horrifying, emotionally and physically scarring results.
Play at your own risk.
- hide and seek: playing cat and mouse with a possessed doll
- fortune: asking spirits for your entire future
- things you never want to do: a collection of dare-devil activities
- midnight man: summoning a demon
- how to actually contact blood mary: self-explanatory
- living doll: inducing a spirit to possess a doll
- concentrate: a game to figure out how you will die
- kokkuri-san: summon a spirit to ask about the future
- three kings: access to another dimension
- shoe box telephone: communication with the dead
- elevator game: access to another world you may or may not get out of
- bath game: summoning a ghost that will follow you around all day
- cat scratch: to summon a spirit that leave claw marks on your back
- sandman game: persons body feels much heavier
- baby blue: to summon an evil baby spirit
- light as a feather: make person’s body light enough to lift up with fingers